I am sure that you have probably heard that the National Intelligence Estimate was released today and it suggests that Iran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003. There is much discussion out today about the administration being wrong and what our stance on Iran should now be.
I am going to take a break from the election today to ponder another thought. I doubt very seriously that Iran has halted their plans for nuclear weapons. Why? Because, basic common sense tells me that it would not be in their best interest to do so. Let’s discuss this on a very personal level.
- I (IRAN) live in a community (the world) where my neighbors (US, Israel, Europe, ect) tell me that they can have weapons but I cannot. The reason given is that they have better controls than I do and that I shouldn’t worry because they will protect me should someone threaten me. Now, I have a history with my neighbors that clearly do not coincide with what I am being told. Currently, my pit bulls are being threatened because even though they are fenced, my neighbors believe that they have been sneaking out at night. They are not for sure; but there is a hint fear. Just last week my neighbors blew up the guy’s house next door over a hint of fear (weapons of mass destruction). I didn’t get along with him anyway, but that’s not the point. My neighbors have also told me that if I make any move to try and secure my home, they will prevent other people from conducting business with me. Oh Yeah…..a while ago, they gave the guy next door (the one that they just blew up) support to kill off several members of my family. I know that if I get the weapons, I would probably be a lot safer, because the other guys up the street who have weapons, are left alone.
I have just never been able to rationalize how we could tell other countries that they should not have nuclear weapons but we (and our current allies) can. This just makes no sense to me. It would be one thing, if we worked to get rid of all nuclear weapons, but that is kind of unrealistic since the genie has been let out of the bottle.
It would seem that we would benefit more by:
- Being better neighbors and working in a larger community to form a “community watch” like organization to police ourselves since we all have weapons.
- Should have some international laws and an international court that would hand out stiff penalties for any of us not handling our weapons in the safest way possible.
- Staying out of other countries affairs unless someone makes a request of us and other members of the national community.
- Taking seriously our role as a member of a larger community and working more effectively with organizations like the UN.
This is just something to ponder.