Archive for Iran
I am sure that you have probably heard that the National Intelligence Estimate was released today and it suggests that Iran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003. There is much discussion out today about the administration being wrong and what our stance on Iran should now be.
I am going to take a break from the election today to ponder another thought. I doubt very seriously that Iran has halted their plans for nuclear weapons. Why? Because, basic common sense tells me that it would not be in their best interest to do so. Let’s discuss this on a very personal level.
- I (IRAN) live in a community (the world) where my neighbors (US, Israel, Europe, ect) tell me that they can have weapons but I cannot. The reason given is that they have better controls than I do and that I shouldn’t worry because they will protect me should someone threaten me. Now, I have a history with my neighbors that clearly do not coincide with what I am being told. Currently, my pit bulls are being threatened because even though they are fenced, my neighbors believe that they have been sneaking out at night. They are not for sure; but there is a hint fear. Just last week my neighbors blew up the guy’s house next door over a hint of fear (weapons of mass destruction). I didn’t get along with him anyway, but that’s not the point. My neighbors have also told me that if I make any move to try and secure my home, they will prevent other people from conducting business with me. Oh Yeah…..a while ago, they gave the guy next door (the one that they just blew up) support to kill off several members of my family. I know that if I get the weapons, I would probably be a lot safer, because the other guys up the street who have weapons, are left alone.
I have just never been able to rationalize how we could tell other countries that they should not have nuclear weapons but we (and our current allies) can. This just makes no sense to me. It would be one thing, if we worked to get rid of all nuclear weapons, but that is kind of unrealistic since the genie has been let out of the bottle.
It would seem that we would benefit more by:
- Being better neighbors and working in a larger community to form a “community watch” like organization to police ourselves since we all have weapons.
- Should have some international laws and an international court that would hand out stiff penalties for any of us not handling our weapons in the safest way possible.
- Staying out of other countries affairs unless someone makes a request of us and other members of the national community.
- Taking seriously our role as a member of a larger community and working more effectively with organizations like the UN.
This is just something to ponder.
More than likely, I am going to hear screams after this post, but here goes. I personally support a draft. A DRAFT!!!!!!!?????? Yes, a draft. Why??????? I personally believe that we will all begin to pay a little bit more attention if all of our children were being called to serve and because I don’t know of any other means to kill the APATHY that is so pervasive in our society. In recent discussions with various people, friends, family, co-workers, ect, I have picked up on the following sentiments:
- “I’m not that interested in politics”.
- “I just don’t feel that I can really impact anything at that level. They’re gonna do what they want to do”.
- “All of my thoughts and energy are spent on just taking care of me and my family”.
All of the statements above, while I totally relate to and understand, are excuses. Believe me; I am also speaking to myself. I have often wondered how an entire country could fall in line behind a Hitler, a Mussolini, or a Stalin. What were the citizens of Germany, Italy and Russia doing in the years and months prior to the rise of these individuals? I realize that history has now revealed these three men to be war criminals ect. I am sure that the majority of the citizens in those countries did not see them as we see them now. It took the masses of Germans, Italians, and Russians to carryout the thoughts and will of a single man. I suspect they too were busy trying to make a living, feed their children, and run their lives.
I bring this up today because our government is now posturing for a confrontation with another country. When the people that we have placed in charge speak on the subject, it is done in our name. WE HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE. We are not Germany, Russia or Italy, but we cannot sleep……we must be engaged.
The NY Times reports that, Vice President Dick Cheney used the deck of an American aircraft carrier just 150 miles off Iran’s coast as the backdrop today to warn the country that the United States was prepared to use its naval power to keep Tehran from disrupting off oil routes or “gaining nuclear weapons and dominating this region.”
We always talk about our constitution, but have we looked at it lately. Did you know that the US Constitution states the following:
Section 8 – Powers of Congress
- To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;
- To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
- To provide and maintain a Navy;
- To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;
- To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;
- To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;
- To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings; And
- To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
Can we at least write to someone. I think I will. If anyone else is interested.
The links to our congress are under the US government heading.