Archive for military privatization
“I say, therefore, that the arms with whch a prince defends his state are either his own, or they are mercenaries, auxiliaries, or mixed. Mercenaries and auxiliaries are useless and dangerous; and if one holds his state based on these arms, he will stand neither firm nor safe; for they are disunited, ambitious and without discipline, unfaithful, valiant before friends, cowardly before enemies; they have neither the fear of God nor fidelity to men, and destruction is deferred only so long as the attack is; for in peace one is robbed by them, and in war by the enemy. The fact is, they have no other attraction or reason for keeping the field than a trifle of stipend, which is not sufficient to make them willing to die for you.”
THE PRINCE, Niccolo Machiavelli
What is all the hoopla surrounding the privatization of our military. Well, there is a group that believe that privatization is the answer to all of our problems. We should privitize education, the military, the government, ect. What is the difference in private versus public and why exactly are we moving towards the private sector.
When organizations are public:
- They are accountable to the public
- They are there to serve all of the public, they can not be selective.
- They tend to be under government control, which in a very technical sense, they should be under yours and my control. Because after all we are a part of that huge beauracracy, as the governed.
When organzations are private:
- Their missions become narrow. This sounds good, right. They become experts in their fields.
- They must profit or not exist.
- They are accountable to a smaller group of people, their board, or whoever has the power in their organization. They do NOT serve the public at large.
I am not going into a lot of discussion on this. I just wanted to bring this to your attention. Just imagine, a private group that has more power, better weaponary, more intelligence than our government and no allegience to you or I.